New hope

I will freely admit that my last post was a bit of a cliffhanger. That’s how it was, though. I went to bed that night thinking that I was a failure.

However, I knew two things:

  1. I was not going to do something to break my new sewing machine
  2. There was still a little part of me that wasn’t ready to admit defeat.

That’s the part of me that went into overdrive as I drifted off to sleep.

I could hand-sew a bag. I hate to admit it, but I’m not sure I could see that through. I am a person of unfinished projects and I live among a people of unfinished projects. Heck, I live in a house full of unfinished projects. Nope. I want to DO this.

Somewhere, in the haze of half-sleep, a thought drifted into mind. My previous sewing machine had been languishing on a shelf in my closet. I had intended to sell it in my next yard sale. It’s a bit of a joke, after all.

I bought it back in 2001 or 2002. I was too broke to buy a computerized machine, but I still wanted lots of stitches. I found the Singer IZEK. My kids thought it was the coolest sewing machine ever – not because they knew anything about sewing machines. It was because it was attached to a Game Boy Color!!! Yes, that’s right. This machine used a Game Boy as it’s computer. It came with a game cartridge that stored all of the stitches. The boys (then somewhere around ages 6 and 8) told me if I didn’t get it for me, I should at least get it for Dad. HA! Yeah, right. But, hey, the price was right and it would get the job done. Eventually, I got frustrated with it and put it away along with my sewing aspirations. Now, it was sitting with my garage sale stash. I decided that if I was going to break a machine, it may as well be one that was worth about ten bucks.

May I introduce you to Izek

May I introduce you to Izek

The next morning, I got reacquainted with Izek. I set it up according to directions and gathered my leather scraps. Big deep breath. Here goes everything!

SUCCESS!!! This goofy, out-dated, Game-Boy-for-brains sewing machine was sewing leather!! It wasn’t perfect, but it was progress. I could tell that the tension wasn’t quite right, so I made a test strip. I set the tension starting at 0 and progressing up to 9, sewing a line for each. None of them were quite perfect, but I picked the one that I thought would do the best. Unfortunately, I could find no way to adjust the bobbin tension. That might have actually helped. But for now, I had a tension setting that I was happy with for sewing seams where the stitching wouldn’t be seen.

One big shout out to my Craftsy instructor, Don Morin. When I was trying to solve these tension issues, I posted a question on the class platform. He was great. He gave me several things to try. That is one thing that I can say about this class. I have asked questions on several occasions and every time he has been great about responding with great information and encouragement.

The next step: time to cut those pattern pieces. The game is back on!

Advertisements
Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Alligator Embossed Leather Bag

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

About me
I'm on a journey to learn new skills and discover new things about myself. I want to try things that push me beyond my comfort zone - things that I have to struggle to master.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

I’m a Zero to Hero Blogger!
"I'm a Zero to Hero Blogger!"
Follow V Learns Something New on WordPress.com
%d bloggers like this: